Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Do I Need Medication & Where Do I Find Support?

Listed below are some sites and information that I have found while doing my research. I thought I would pass them along to you BEFORE the journey begins. If you have any questions please let me know!

DO I NEED MEDICATION TO HELP ME STOP SMOKING?

Let me state that I am not in a place to give any medical advice. The choice to take a medication or not, is up to you and your doctor. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR OR ASK HIM/HER BEFORE YOU BEGIN TAKING ANY MEDICATION. Also, asking your pharmacist about conflicting medication is a great habit before you begin taking anything. That includes over the counter as well as prescribed medication. Their knowledge and the latest computer software is fa nominal in detecting conflicting medications. In rare cases, it can lead to death. I don't take anything without first contacting my pharmacist. That includes herbal, vitamins, over the counter medication, and prescription medication. Better safe than sorry....there is something to that!

Here are a couple of prescription medications. Ask your doctor about if any of these could help you quit. (That is if you decide you want to take a prescription medication.)
Bupropion hydrochloride is a medicine for depression, but it also helps people quit smoking. Brand names include Zyban®, Wellbutrin®, Wellbutrin SR® and Wellbutrin XL® but this medication is also available as a generic.

Varenicline is a relatively new medicine that may help smokers quit. It is currently available under the brand name Chantix®.

OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS
Once again, I am not a doctor. But I have tried some of the items listed. I will place my personal outcome with each one I tried. (Yes, like many others I have tried quitting before now.)

Nicotine Gum
Tried store brand name. Found it very hard to chew. RESULTS: Didn't use it.

Nicotine Lozenges
Tried store brand name. I think I would have really liked this option, but the down fall is I couldn't drink anything 15 minutes before using one. Anyone who knows me, knows I can't go 15 minutes without a sip of Dr. Pepper. RESULTS: Didn't Use.

Nicotine Inhaler
I haven't used or even attempted to try this one. Here is the information I found on it. **"The nicotine inhaler, also nicknamed "the puffer" is a thin, plastic cartridge that contains a porous nicotine plug in its base. By puffing on the cartridge, nicotine vapor is extracted and absorbed through the lining of the mouth. Each cartridge delivers up to 400 puffs of nicotine vapor. It takes at least 80 puffs to obtain the equivalent amount of nicotine delivered by one cigarette. The nicotine inhaler was made available by prescription in June 1998."

Nicotine Spray
You'll have to ask your Doctor on this one as well. I don't like putting anything up my nose...so I don't feel this is a good match for me. Here is the description:
**"Nicotine nasal spray is aerosolized nicotine contained in a spray pump. The nicotine is delivered to the user by spraying it into the nostrils, and is rapidly absorbed by the nasal membranes inside the nose. The spray device is similar to over-the-counter decongestant sprays. Nicotine nasal spray was approved for use by the FDA in 1996. It is currently available by prescription only."

Nicotine Patch
If I decided to do anything but Cold Turkey, We have a Winner! I tried NicoDerm CQ Smart Control. I started on the high dosage so I had 21mg of nicotine delivered to my blood stream over a 24 hour period.

It was pretty simple to use and understand. I simply applied a patch, at the same time everyday to a different area of my body.

Why did I quit it? To be honest I wanted to light up a cigarette. I wasn't committed to stopping. It did take away the withdrawal, but not the craving for me. I had a "Duh" moment using this product. I smoked a cigarette. (Ummm o.k. maybe more than one.) Nothing happened this time, key words, "This Time."

With all the above products, during my research, each products states "DO NOT SMOKE!" The danger is nicotine overdose.

There are also some herbal medicines that can help you quit. If you are interested in these, I would suggest you Google them.

As with anything dealing with starting something new... CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR!

WHERE DO I FIND SUPPORT?
Now the internet is budding with information. I have given several links, sites, and phone numbers you can contact about support. Some of them have some really neat things and I'll post a little bit about it on the side.

http://www.quitsmokingjournals.com/
(Did someone say journal?)

http://www.becomeanex.org (No this isn't a site about getting a divorce.)

http://www.nicodermcq.com (Has free e-cards, has a $7.00 coupon and sample, enclosed in package is an User Guide & Support phone number. If you choose to go this route, please pay attention to the fact you can pay the same amount for two weeks as you can one when using the patches.)

http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/Default.aspx



http://www.cancer.org (American Cancer Society)



National Cancer Institute
Toll-free number: 1-800-422-6237 (1-800-4-CANCER)
Web site: www.cancer.gov
Toll-free tobacco line: 1-877-448-7848
Tobacco quit line: 1-800-784-8669 (1-800-QUITNOW)
Direct tobacco Web site: www.smokefree.gov
Quitting information, cessation guide, and counseling is offered, as well as information on state telephone-based quit programs

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Office on Smoking and Health

Toll-free number: 1-800-232-4636 (1-800-CDC-INFO)
Web site: www.cdc.gov/tobacco
Free quit support line: 1-800-784-8669 (1-800-QUIT-NOW)
TTY: 1-800-332-8615

If you live near Owensboro, KY you may want to contact the below for a local support group.

The Cooper-Clayton class is free and lasts 13 weeks. Registration takes place four times a year through the Green River Heart Institute (688-0808) and is carried out through a partnership with the Kentucky Cancer Program, the Green River District Health Department, GRHI and OMHS.

The class meets from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays at the OMHS HealthPark.

If you don't live near Owensboro but would like to find a class or a group meeting near you, check out Local.com and put in your city. If we have it in Owensboro, I know it has to be near your town as well.

When all else fails, and you need to find information...Google it.

And one more neat site I found. I know some of us won't need or want this information but I still think it is "cool".

Free Medication Programs

http://www.freemedicinerevolution.com

Once again the decision to stop smoking is yours. Your health is always a consideration when doing anything new. Please take care of you and make sure that if you decided to take any kind of help other than COLD TURKEY... ask your doctor &/or pharmacist.

I hope this post help in some way. As I draw closer to my stop date...I have added a lot of favorite websites and informational tools. Once again, if you are going to try to quit along with me... "I can't wait for our journey to begin!"




**Information with ** was provided by my search on: http://www.quitnet.com

Another site with a lot of great information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If this post made you feel anything, good/bad/etc., please take a moment and make a comment. I appreciate your feedback and comments. Thank You!